Our mission is to make banking free across Africa, empowering our customers to control their financial lives by ensuring affordable, efficient, and widely available financial services.
We are pursuing a once-in-a-generation opportunity to revolutionize financial services in Africa-lowering the cost and increasing the reach of banking while serving the next billion mobile consumers that are coming online
We are passionately customer-centric, delivering mobile banking with an exceptional user experience. We leverage advanced machine learning to allow us to create intelligent, affordable financial products for emerging markets where credit is not widely available
Headquartered in San Francisco, and growing rapidly in Mexico, Nigeria, and Kenya-Umba launched in the Nigerian market and is expanding quickly into additional markets. We offer a broad range of digital banking products to our customers through Android and iOS apps and have a culture of exceeding customer expectations which have generated explosive growth.
We are looking for exceptional talent but also for people that share our vision, drive, and sense of mission. Come join us to build the biggest neo-bank in Africa.
As a UX/UI Designer, you'll redefine digital banking experiences that we can give to our customers! You'll get to define exactly what it is, how it works, how it feels, and how it looks. You'll be creating delightful essential financial services and tools that emphasize convenience & accessibility. We will be looking to you to help bring more context of the Nigerian market and common UX/UI practices to our team.
Your core responsibilities include:
- Abstracting away the complexities of financial services through iterative design and testing
- Pushing our brand and UI style forward while maintaining our design system
- Making data-driven product decisions alongside the founders
- Crafting engaging messaging across our product, landing page, and marketing
- Optimizing existing UX designs to hit key performance metrics
- Collaborate with the design team in and out of review sessions
- Enable the growth team across a variety of initiatives
- Bring the context of Nigerian design patterns to design reviews
- Challenge assumptions we have about our users and the market
Skills and Qualifications
- 2+ years of experience of UX/UI design across digital platforms like web and mobile
- A strong understanding of visual design, typography, grid systems, and color theory
- You are in touch with current design methodologies and trends
- The ability to cross communicate across both Product & Engineering and with users
- You're comfortable working in an early stage team and can navigate low-information environments
- Ability to work closely with engineers to ensure your work is implemented perfectly
- You're comfortable using Figma as the primary design tool
- A strong portfolio showcasing your problem-solving skills and high design caliber; you MUST provide a link to your portfolio with an explanation of your creative process on each design (and password if applicable) to be considered for this role.
Bonus points for:
- Skills in 3D, Illustration, or Animation.
- Experience working to hit KPI's through design changes
- Track record of projects completed on time - you are a self-starter & an executor, who is results-oriented.
- You're fun to work with! We are a very diverse and friendly team that prioritizes building relationships and unlocking everyone's full potential.
Umba is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Powered by JazzHR