OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The mission of the WHO Health Emergencies Programme (The Programme) is to help countries, and to coordinate international action, to prevent, prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to, and recover from outbreaks and emergencies.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Summary of Assigned Duties (Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives; include main achievements expected) : The incumbent will carry out the following duties : 1.
Support the development, implementation and evaluation of the national strategies and workplans pertaining to the prevention and control of high threat diseases of pandemic & epidemic potential or infectious risks and the implementation of evidence-
based strategies to manage infectious hazards, interventions in high-risks groups and recommend measures for special attention, ensuring compliance with organization-
wide IHM strategies.2. In close collaboration with the risk assessment, health information management and other teams from the Regional office and HQ, monitor the early prevention, detection, verification, assessment and investigation of any risks of outbreaks and the dissemination of data related to the occurrence of outbreaks.
3. Adapt IHM global policies, concepts, tools and strategies and manage their implementation at the country level, for the prevention and, where feasible, elimination of diseases / epidemic risks.
Work with the Ministry of Health, NCDC and Partners, to improve approaches and methods of controlling epidemics in different epidemiological situations.
4. Conduct the periodic reporting of infectious hazards activities, support the information systems and the monitoring facilitating integration with the national health information systems, as required.
5. Contribute to the surveillance and risk analysis of infectious diseases; participate in the rapid response teams responsible for the rapid investigation of alerts, field risk assessments and early detection and response.
6. Ensure that risk communication messages are technically sound and socio-culturally appropriate to induce, engage and empower stakeholders in the prevention, mitigation and control of infectious hazards.
7. Make recommendations and give guidance on relevant courses of actions to be taken in affected as well as non-affected areas to prevent and / or control cause of excess morbidity and mortality.
8. In close collaboration with other technical teams, provide technical assistance on vaccination, enhanced surveillance, infection control (including personal protection), enhanced sanitation and hygiene, increased provision of water and / or nutrients, prepositioning of drugs and medical supplies, vector control etc.
9. Request the activation of technical experts' networks at global or regional level to characterize the pathogen and the disease in case of unknown infection.
10. Perform any other related duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
Essential : First University degree in medicine, public health or health related field from an accredited / recognized institute.
Desirable : Specialized training in epidemiology or in infectious diseases.Advanced University Degree in public health or health related field from an accredited / recognized institute.
Essential : At least 5 years working experience in planning, developing and implementing the control and prevention of infectious diseases programme including outbreak prevention and control, infectious hazard management and / or dangerous pathogens.
Desirable : Working experience in related areas with WHO, other UN agencies or other recognizedinternational organizations
Demonstrated knowledge of infectious diseases, particularly in infectious disease epidemiology, prevention or control, clinical management and significant practical application of this knowledge in an international context.
Proven ability to coordinate with the government, manage projects, build partnerships with multiple partners in the context of health emergencies.
Ability to formulate clear comprehensive strategies and plans. Demonstrated organizational skills with ability to multi-
task and produce results under pressure.
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Moving forward in a changing environment
Promoting innovation and organizational learning
Use of Language Skills
Essential : Expert knowledge of English.
Desirable : REMUNERATION
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at NGN 19,538,402 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited / recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
The list can be accessed through the link : . Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.