Our mission at Umba is to use machine learning to allow us to create intelligent, affordable financial products for emerging markets. Umba is live in Nigeria, expanding quickly into additional markets, offering a full suite of digital banking products to its customers through Android and iOS Apps. Our platform uses machine learning and big data to build credit scores to optimize risk exposures and allows users to apply, receive, and repay microloans through their smartphones. Once a user creates an account, we validate their information and make lending decisions based on the information they give us and hundreds of data points we take from their smartphone with their permission. Our machine learning models are in a state of constant improvement, and we use AI and automation to deliver the lowest cost banking solutions for our growing customer base. We have built out a comprehensive data collection platform, with our data warehouse storing over 100m rows of data for accurate credit scoring.
About Umba Nigeria
Umba Inc has recently acquired a Microfinance Bank in Nigeria and further is concluding an acquisition of a majority stake in a Kenyan Microfinance Bank. Approval is expected imminently with work currently underway to transition the Banks to the Umba strategy. Operations (for the new strategy) are expected to commence in quarter one for the year 2022.
The position reports to the Head of Shared Service Centre stationed in Nigeria. The incumbent will hold responsibilities over two countries i.e Kenya and Nigeria. S/He will manage all ICT services for both Kenya and Nigeria. Moreover, s/he will draft and enforce the ICT and Information Security Policy. This position is responsible for the establishment of a robust ICT infrastructure, relationship management of the outsourced core banking platform, in-country support for the core banking platform and related systems in both countries, desktop and network support, and ensuring SLAs are set up for efficient services delivery by both internal departments and external parties.
- Set up the ICT departments in Kenya and Nigeria and determine the resource requirements (staff, Hardware, and software) for each country.
- Ensure the ICT infrastructure is in compliance with the relevant in-country and international laws and guidelines.
- Implement the Data Protection Act (Kenya), Privacy Act (Kenya and Nigeria), and all other relevant Data Protection and Privacy laws in place in the respective jurisdictions
- Define specifications for hardware and software for all countries s/he supports.
- Offer guidance and support for the installation of computer hardware, computer software, and operating systems.
- Provide support for the outsourced Core Banking Platform, Umba App, and all peripheral systems (Accounting, IFRS 9, e.t.c.).
- Manage all ICT projects across the respective countries and ensure the change is managed successfully both from a technical and a peoples angle.
- Logging any malfunctions of the ICT systems with the group Engineering team for urgent resolution and advising customers on how to troubleshoot application malfunctions.
- Ensure all user problems and queries are documented and maintain the same in a database for follow-ups and data mining for continuous improvement
- Ensuring there is an appropriate Disaster Recovery plan in place for each country and ensuring they are regularly tested.
- Defining user ICT standards and security measures.
- Effecting preventive and corrective maintenance through scheduled maintenance schedules and responses in line with the agreed TATs respectively.
- Draft and implement the Information Security Policy and procedures, as well as the Data Protection Policy and Procedures.
- Ensure measures are in place to enhance the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the Bank's information.
- Ensure that regular systems upgrades including system software upgrades are effected for optimum performance;
- Work with the group Engineering and product teams to provide critical inputs for system upgrades, new peripheral systems, and new products.
- Identify and propose new partnerships which will add value to the existing systems and products and improve our competitive advantage.
- Define and set up the appropriate communication infrastructure to aid communication within the Bank and with external parties within the set boundaries and in compliance with the Information Security Policy.
- Assume the superuser role for all Umba systems and provide training and guidance for all Umba systems to users in Nigeria and Kenya.
Qualifications And Experience
- Must be a holder of a Bachelor’s degree in Information technology or computer science
- Must demonstrate innovation and creativity;
- Must demonstrate experience in working from a Shared Service Centre
- Must have the ability to explain technical issues to end-users in "layman's" language
Work Status Valid work authorization for Nigeria
Umba is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you have a disability or particular need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Powered by JazzHR