Our mission is to make banking free across Africa, empowering our customers to control their financial lives by ensuring financial services are affordable, efficient, and widely available.
We are pursuing a once-in-a-generation opportunity to revolutionize financial services in Africa-lowering the cost and increasing the reach of banking while serving the next billion mobile consumers that are coming online
We are passionately customer-centric, delivering mobile banking with an exceptional user experience. We leverage advanced machine learning to allow us to create intelligent, affordable financial products for emerging markets where credit is not widely available
Headquartered in San Francisco, and growing rapidly in Mexico, Nigeria, and Kenya-Umba launched in the Nigerian market and is expanding quickly into additional markets. We offer a broad range of digital banking products to our customers through Android and iOS apps and have a culture of exceeding customer expectations which have generated explosive growth.
We are looking for exceptional talent but also for people that share our vision, drive, and sense of mission. Come join us to build the biggest neo-bank in Africa.
Umba is looking for a Product Manager to join the lending team at the Nigeria office. The Product Manager manages the successful development and implementation of credit products
This person is responsible for the strategy, product planning, and execution throughout the product lifecycle and defining the product vision, gathering and prioritizing product requirements, and working closely with engineering, design, marketing, and operations to ensure revenue and customer satisfaction goals are met.
The ideal candidate will be curious, have strong attention to detail, and passion for customer success.
- Build the next generation of our core risk engine including machine learning pipeline, underwriting models, 3rd party data capture, and pricing engine.
- Drive forward the high leverage and high impact internal underwriting, pricing, and verification tools to optimize the business on the fly.
- Provide a good research POV on machine learning tools and libraries and how they can be practically leveraged for near-term impact.
- Operate as an industry expert and provide stakeholders with an understanding of the latest and greatest ways ML is being leveraged by others.
- Break vision into phases, prioritize and drive backlogs for launch with your dedicated engineering teams.
- Work with internal stakeholders from risk, legal, operations, and executive management to translate business needs into product requirements.
- Work closely with designers, developers (both locally and remotely), Q/A testers, and subject matter experts to get requirements well scoped, designed, tested, and built.
- Monitor and understand the key metrics governing your product area, with an eye toward continuously improving them through ongoing product innovation
- Establish product delivery timelines in close collaboration with the development team.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree required, engineering, data science, economics, or related technical field is preferred
- 3-4 Years of Product Management Experience
- Proven results influencing stakeholders and displaying improvements
- Ability to translate complex problems and ideas into easily understood descriptions
- Demonstrated success defining and launching excellent backend platform systems that support the customer experience
- Proven ability to dive deeply into specific functional areas and learn a domain
- Proven ability to innovate and come up with ideas to help drive the product forward
- Proven ability to understand the business and engineering sides and get into technical detail
- Ability to assume a strong sense of responsibility and ownership in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent project management skills - delivery and action-oriented
Nice to have:
- Experience with building machine-learning enabled credit products
- Experience in financial services
- Ability to handle changing tasks and priorities and adapt quickly
- Valid work authorization for Nigeria
Umba is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Powered by JazzHR