Our mission is to make banking free across Africa, empowering our customers to control their financial lives by ensuring financial services are affordable, efficient, and widely available.
We are pursuing a once-in-a-generation opportunity to revolutionize financial services in Africa-lowering the cost and increasing the reach of banking while serving the next billion mobile consumers that are coming online
We are passionately customer-centric, delivering mobile banking with an exceptional user experience. We leverage advanced machine learning to allow us to create intelligent, affordable financial products for emerging markets where credit is not widely available
Headquartered in San Francisco, and growing rapidly in Mexico, Nigeria, and Kenya-Umba launched in the Nigerian market and is expanding quickly into additional markets. We offer a broad range of digital banking products to our customers through Android and iOS apps and have a culture of exceeding customer expectations which have generated explosive growth.
We are looking for exceptional talent but also for people that share our vision, drive, and sense of mission. Come join us to build the biggest neo-bank in Africa.
We are looking for a Back-End Web Developer responsible for managing the interchange of data between the server and the users. Your primary focus will be the development of all server-side logic, definition, and maintenance of the central database, and ensuring high performance and responsiveness to requests from the Mobile Apps. We work in a fast-moving environment, and we build our team to be autonomous, able to deploy their own code, and solve their own problems.
We have split our infrastructure into microservices to divide responsibilities and allow autonomy in language choices. While not a requirement for this job, a healthy curiosity of DevOps concepts such as infrastructure as code, containerization, and continuous delivery is welcomed, and we always encourage cross-functional engineers to get out of their comfort zones and into new technologies & disciplines.
You will be working with a small, but highly technical team. We have 250k users and work to ensure continuous uptime and constant improvement. We train and deploy new machine learning models regularly and subscribe to data-driven decision making, you will not be just an implementer, but a valued opinion at the table.
- Build robust and scalable software in Python
- Design and create services and system architecture for your projects, and contribute to existing infrastructure
- Help improve our code quality through writing unit tests, automation, and performing code reviews
- Participate in brainstorming sessions and contribute ideas to our technology, algorithms, and products
- Dive into difficult problems and successfully deliver results on schedule
Skills and Qualifications
- At least 4 years of recent hands-on coding and software design
- Degree in engineering preferred, but significant work that can be shared will be accepted
- Experience with Python, and the willingness to learn new technologies (experience with other object-oriented languages is okay too, but our backend code is mainly written in Python, so you should be able to get up-to-speed on at least one of them quickly)
- Experience with Linux/Unix and scripting languages
- Java/Android development experience a bonus
- A track record of projects completed on time – you are a flawless executor, not a procrastinator
- Solid OOP and software design knowledge – you should know how to create software that’s extensible, reusable, and meets desired architectural objectives
- You’re so much fun to work with, that if you were working on the weekend, we’d want to join you.
- Valid work authorization for Nigeria
Umba is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Powered by JazzHR