Finance Associate, G-6, Abuja, Nigeria ( 2 positions) #90857 #90859
Organization : UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
Grade : Administrative support, GS-6, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position
Occupational Groups : Administrative support
Banking and Finance
Operations and Administrations
Closing Date : 2019-09-19
The Finance Associate will be responsible for providing a variety of specialized tasks in finance functions, ensuring accurate and timely delivery that is in compliance with UNICEF financial rules and regulations, whilst demonstrating the capacity to research, adapt and evaluate irregular cases, and also to recommend improvements to process delivery and design.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives.
To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
How can you make a difference?
Summary of key functions and responsibilities :
1. Advise and assist on all aspects related to preparation of reports, compilation of data and answering queries on pledges recorded, funds received, adjustments made to ensure financial compliance, accuracy and completeness of data for its inclusion into statement of accounts and adjustment of budgets.
Advise units of discrepancies and assist to resolve differences in their records.
2. Maintains financial records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data for day-
to-day transactions and reports.
3. Selects and enters data from a wide variety of documents, verifying and ensuring accuracy by checking sources, making necessary calculations and assuring inclusion of all relevant data.
4. Prepares recurring reports as schedules and special reports, as required for budget preparation, audits or other reasons.
5. Close year-end account and assist in the preparation of year-end reports related to accounts receivable, accounts payable, prepayment, deposits, NEP and leave balances, etc.
6. Advises and assists international staff, experts and consultants on all aspects of allowances, salary advances, travel claims and other financial matters, and calculates and authorizes payments due for claims and services.
7. Initiates correspondence to verify data, answers queries and obtains additional information on accounts and financial transactions, as required.
8. Maintains liaisons with officials of local banks to obtain day-to-day information on exchange and interest rates, changes in procedures and regulations, and matters pertaining to maintenance of office bank accounts.
This includes prepares recurring reports and bank reconciliation.
9. Prepares detailed cost estimates, and participates in budget analysis and projects, as required.
10. Performs other duties, as required.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have
Language Requirements :
For every Child, you demonstrate
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are .
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.